slide-icon

Arsenal latest: Ethan Nwaneri exit decision as double Man Utd transfer swoop emerges

Arsenal are racing to complete several transfers before the summer window closes

doc-content image

The transfer window shuts on September 1 and Arsenal are determined to ensure their business is concluded well before that deadline arrives.

It has been a summer of two halves for the Premier League champions — a slow start giving way to a more productive spell that has seen Mikel Arteta's squad meaningfully strengthened ahead of a title defence.

Spirits at the Emirates Stadium are currently sky high. The Gunners go into Friday's Premier League opener against Coventry City on the back of a dominant 3-0 victory over Manchester City in the Community Shield, with new additions Bruno Guimaraes and Christos Tzolis expected to be key figures as Arteta targets success on four fronts this season.

Aston Villa's Ezri Konsa has also reportedly been scheduled for a medical after Arsenal reached an agreement with Aston Villa over his transfer fee. The defender is expected to be Andrea Berta’s fifth permanent signing of the summer, with Illan Meslier and Piero Hincapie also being signed.

FOLLOW OUR ARSENAL FB PAGE! Latest Gunners news, analysis and much more via our dedicated Facebook page

However, there is plenty more to be done in terms of outgoings. The club has made Gabriel Jesus, Gabriel Martinelli and Fabio Vieira available for transfer, while also signalling a willingness to listen to offers for academy products Ethan Nwaneri and Myles Lewis-Skelly.

Ethan Nwaneri exit decision

Arsenal are prioritising loan offers for Nwaneri ahead of the summer transfer deadline, according to a report. The 19-year-old's future has been the subject of considerable speculation throughout the summer, amid growing concerns over his limited playing time under Arteta.

Fabrizio Romano claimed the youngster was heading for the exit door after being omitted from Arsenal's Community Shield squad that beat City. Galatasaray, AC Milan and several Premier League rivals were all said to be circling.

But BBC Sport has since reported that Arsenal have no desire to part with Nwaneri on a permanent basis. The Gunners are said to recognise that the teenager's minutes will be restricted this campaign owing to fierce competition in a well-stocked midfield, and are therefore prioritising a temporary arrangement.

In the end, Nwaneri's fate will hinge on the offers that come Arsenal's way. Should the club receive a proposal that substantially exceeds their valuation for the attacking midfielder, the Gunners may find themselves reconsidering their position.

Arteta admitted last week: "I want him to be at the club, but we have to consider in the medium, long term, what is best for the player as well."

Double Man Utd transfer swoop

doc-content image

The Gunners are said to be pursuing moves for two Manchester United youngsters. The Telegraph reports that the north Londoners are working to secure deals for both James Scanlon, 19, and Habeeb Ogunneye, 20, as part of their ambitious youth recruitment drive over the past year.

According to the report, Arsenal are increasingly confident they can push through deals for both players within the next few weeks. This comes in the wake of Manchester United having lured away two of their most promising youngsters in Ayden Heaven and Chido Obi in recent years.

Scanlon joined United from Derby County in 2021 and has already accumulated an impressive 24 international caps for Gibraltar, the nation of his mother's birth. He spent the latter half of last season on loan at Swindon Town.

Ogunneye, meanwhile, featured in 21 matches on loan at Newport County last season before being recalled in January. The London-born defender has already featured in several first-team matchday squads at Old Trafford.

Premier LeagueArsenalMikel ArtetaBruno GuimaraesChristos TzolisEzri KonsaEthan NwaneriTransfer Rumorfootball