Matthias Jaissle urges Newcastle players to shut out 'negativity' following mass exodus of stars this summer - as new Toon boss says he 'doesn't care' about concerns over his lack of Premier League experience
Matthias Jaissle has told his players to shut out the ‘negativity’ around Newcastle United ahead of their season opener against Liverpool.
After a summer in which star players such as Bruno Guimaraes, Sandro Tonali and Anthony Gordon have been sold and head coach Eddie Howe has stood down, Jaissle is aware of the outside noise forecasting a difficult season for his team.
But the German said: ‘To bring the sense of that, in the room, I think it’s smart from us to avoid the negativity from outside, and there is negativity. You read the newspapers, the media, the social media in particular.
‘So for us, the job is to focus on what we can influence. Control the controllables. This is our approach. We have a couple of days left to prepare in our best way for the match against Liverpool. We can then deliver in the best possible way at that stage.’
Newcastle boss Matthias Jaissle takes charge of his first game in charge of the club on Sunday against Liverpool

Jaissle will make his Premier League managerial debut at St James’ Park on Sunday and, at 38 years old, there are some who have cast doubt on his own credentials.
'I don't know how they (people) rank us or how they rank me,’ he said. ‘To be honest, with all the respect, I don't care. It's not something I can influence, the opinion of others. We are good in our approach and we can only focus on what we can influence, and that will be the same on this whole journey with this team.’
Newcastle have signed six players so far this summer, four of whom are aged 20 or under, and Jaissle has asked for patience when it comes to judging their value during the early part of the season.
‘It’s always good when you have young players that you don’t put even more pressure from outside on them,’ he said.
‘They have already a lot of pressure and create a lot of pressure by themselves. From my side, they have full confidence and commitment and trust and respect for the journey they have ahead of them - and it would be nice if the fans and the media could see it in the same way.’